DataCite Metadata Schema
If you have any comments on
- any challenges you face with the current schema - i.e. what's not working for you?
- any ideas you have for additions that would make the schema work better for you, or
- questions you have about the schema,
please contact us via our Google discussion group. We will review the suggestions and comments on a monthly basis, and reply using this same discussion forum.
For our Metadata store all these versions are valid, although only one version is considered preferred at any given moment of time. Starting with version 3.0 only major releases will have a new namespace.
The version number is formatted as: Major.Minor
- Major Version — A major release is for adding features that require breaking backward compatibility with previous versions or represent fundamental changes. For a major release, the MAJOR component is incremented by one and the MINOR component is set to zero, e.g. 3.1 to 4.0.
- Minor Version — A minor release is for adding features that do not break backward compatibility with previous versions and for fixing bugs that may or may not break backwards compatibility. For a minor release, the MINOR component is incremented by one, e.g. 3.0 to 3.1.
Each incoming Metadata store XML document should indicate the schema location in the root element.
Each available version of a schema is a subdirectory containing a set of files. These files constitute a single metadata version. They include all the required xsd files, sample xml files and documentation. The files don't reference any other files outside of their version subdirectory.
These versions are no longer accepted by the DataCite MDS.
- DataCite Metadata Schema 2.0 (24 Jan 2011)
If you have questions please use the DataCite contact form.
This project is hosted on GitHub.